Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) is committed to the ongoing improvement of Health and Safety Management within its operations and the commitment to establishing measurable objectives and targets to ensure continued improvement aimed at elimination of work-related injury and illness.
We will endeavour to conduct business activities in such a manner that ensures the health, safety and wellbeing of all individuals.
Our goal is to prevent all occupational injuries and illnesses. SCCH will seek to achieve this by:
- Identifying and reducing the risks of all types of work activities that have the potential to produce personal injury or occupational illness
- Complying with all applicable occupational safety and health legislation
- Providing instruction, training and supervision to improve individual’s understanding of workplace hazards, including safe work practices and emergency procedures
- Involving individuals in occupational safety and health matters and consulting with them on ways to recognise, evaluate and control workplace hazards
- Ensuring that everyone (including visitors and contractors) complies with appropriate standards and workplace directions to protect their own and other safety and health at work
- Providing adequate systems and resources to effectively manage identified significant occupational safety and health hazards as well as rehabilitation and return to work processes
- Implementing, maintaining and reviewing the occupational safety and health program to achieve continuous improvement, as well as conducting regular inspections of the workplace aimed at preventing accidents and incidents
Managers and Supervisors are responsible for:
- The safety of employees, contractors and company property under their control; and
- Ensuring that all regulations, procedures and safe work practices are followed at all times.
All employees are expected to:
- Follow all occupational safety and health requirements and Codes of Practice;
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area;
- Report all injuries and safety incidents; and
- Actively participate in occupational safety and health improvement activities
Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) is committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral and fundamental part of our overall business strategy and objectives.
It is our priority to encourage our employees, contractors, suppliers and all business associates to do the same. Not only is this sound commercial sense for all; it is also a matter of delivering on our duty of care towards future generations.
To achieve our goals, we shall adhere to the following:
- Supporting and complying with or exceeding the requirements of current environmental legislation and codes of practice.
- Minimise our waste and then reuse or recycle as much of it as possible.
- Minimise energy and water usage in our buildings, vehicles and processes in order to conserve supplies, and minimise our consumption of natural resources, especially where they are non-renewable.
- Apply the principles of continuous improvement in respect of air, water, noise and light pollution from our work sites and reduce any impacts from our operations on the environment and local community.
- As far as possible purchase products and services that do the least damage to the environment and encourage others to do the same.
- Assess the environmental impact of any new processes or products we intend to introduce in advance.
Risk Management Policy
Resolution of Risk / Hazards and Issues enables Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) to improve its operational safety and improve its business processes. In order to achieve an operation that values the experience of its people, SCCH will endeavour to learn from its mistakes, monitor industry best practice and be committed to, corrective actions in the workplace.
SCCH will achieve this policy by implementing adequate tools to enable personnel to manage risks.
These tools will include:
- Visible workplace Supervision
- Observations of personal Behaviour, Job Hazard Analysis
- Safe Work Method Statements
- Safe Operating Procedures
- Regular OHS Consultation
- Regular Workplace / Safety Inspections
- Regular Audits
We will endeavour to:
- Provide a vehicle through which workplace concerns, risks and hazards can be identified and the necessary corrective actions implemented to address the issues.
- Implement an Incident / Event Analysis process to clearly identify the corrective actions required to prevent a recurrence of the Incident / Event.
- In situations where the hazard cannot be eliminated the risk will be reduced to “As Low As Reasonably Practical” (ALARP) are managed in accordance with the hierarchy of control.
- Implement the OHS Management System to identify and manage defective or damaged workplace items or unsafe work practices. It ensures all corrective actions assigned to a particular item have been completed satisfactorily.
Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) is committed to achieving enduring business relationships to deliver products and services that satisfy all stakeholders’ needs and comply with our obligations.
Our key Quality Policy principles are to ensure that we:
- Continually improve our formal management systems in line with our business and stakeholders’ requirements
- Provide adequate resources to develop, manage and implement our management systems
- Refer to recognised standards including ISO 9001, to assist us plan, lead and control product & service delivery
- Identify, assess and implement controls to manage our risks by maximising opportunities and mitigating significant risks associated with our business
- Comply with contractual and legislative requirements
- Use our resources, information and knowledge efficiently and effectively
- Monitor, measure and analyse our performance and take corrective action where performance does not meet expectation
- Enhance the skills and competencies of our personnel to improve our performance and delivery capability
- Assess stakeholder satisfaction both during and after delivery
- Work collaboratively with our stakeholders and encourage them to help us achieve the objectives of this Policy
- Implement this Policy and review our management systems periodically to ensure they are both adequate and effective.
Fitness for Work Policy
Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) is committed to providing a safe, healthy and productive workplace for all employees, contractors, visitors and stakeholders and recognises that everyone has the right to work in an environment where personnel are in a fit state to work.
SCCH will ensure where practicable that employees and contractors are not in an unfit state to perform work. SCCH will put every effort in to systems to ensure no person, while performing their duties is under the influence of alcohol or mood-altering substances when reporting for work.
SCCH will not allow persons affected by mood altering substances, including those reasonably suspected of being so, to work or to be on any active work site. The Fitness for Work Policy is designed to protect employees and contractors from injury or illness caused by the use or abuse of mood altering substances.
We will endeavour to:
- Educate the workforce about the effects of fatigue, alcohol and drugs.
- Ensure persons affected by fatigue or mood-altering substances, is detected so as to ensure the safety of all employees, contractors and visitors on a regular basis.
- Provide for a reasonable program of testing to ensure that employees and contractors comply with the Fitness for Work Policy.
- Provide for a reasonable disciplinary process where the presence of alcohol and drugs are detected at an unacceptable level.
- Identify those who may be experiencing fatigue and manage them and their activities accordingly.
EEO & Anti-Discrimination Policy
Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) is committed to prevent and eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace and thereby ensure that personnel are not disadvantaged on the basis of race, sex, age, religious beliefs, appearance and/or disability.
Employees with personnel management and/or supervisory responsibilities are to ensure that this Policy and its principles are promoted and effective at SCCH.
By increasing awareness of our equal opportunity and anti-discrimination Policy amongst all employees and visitors, in combination with management accountability for its implementation, we will ensure that this Policy and its principles become an integral part of our culture and management practices.
We aim to achieve this Policy by the application of the following strategies:
- To widely communicate this Policy throughout the company, thereby increasing awareness of equal opportunity, anti-discrimination and harassment issues;
- To employ and promote personnel on the basis of their skills, qualifications, capabilities and performance;
- To expeditiously and effectively resolve with appropriate discretion, situations where contravention of this Policy’s principles arise;
- To comply with all relevant statutory obligations;
- To periodically review the effectiveness of this Policy and modify as appropriate.
Drug & Alcohol Policy
Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) is committed to providing and maintaining safe working environments in which employees are not exposed to hazards arising from the use and abuse of alcohol or drugs.
These substances must not be permitted to jeopardise our employees, contractors, clients, visitors and the public’s safety.
The Drug and Alcohol Policy is designed to achieve this aim.
- All persons employed on a workplace are prohibited from work whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- All employees and contractors are required to report for work in a fit and proper condition, in order to perform their duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- Disciplinary action will be taken against any employee or contractor found to be in breach of the relevant Rules and Procedures with regards to alcohol and drugs.
- The consumption, possession or sale of illegal drugs is prohibited whilst at work.
- Employees / Contractors working at client sites must comply with the client’s drug and alcohol policies and procedures.
- Confidential counselling and rehabilitation support services for employees may be arranged for those employees with drug or alcohol issues.
- The company reserves the right to administer appropriate drug and alcohol testing of all employees, contractors and visitors (if and as required)
The protection of personal information is required by the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). All employees and contractors of Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) are expected to comply with the Act and the company policies and procedures concerning the protection of personal information.
SCCH will also comply to the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements (if applicable)
If SCCH collects any personal information such as a person’s name, contact details or medical history we will comply with the following principles:
Collecting and Using Personal Information
SCCH will only collect personal information by lawful, fair and unobtrusive means and will only use that information to the extent necessary for its business purposes.
SCCH will only use personal information collected for the purpose for which it was provided or will otherwise comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act and GDPR requirements.
Disclosing Personal Information
The policy is not to disclose any personal information to any unrelated third party, except with consent or where we are required by law to do so.
Retention and Disposal of Information
SCCH will only keep personal information it needs and will dispose of such information when it has no further need to use it or it is required by law.
SCCH uses all reasonable efforts to ensure that any personal information collected is held securely. In addition, only authorised personnel have access to personal information.
Accessing and Updating Personal Information
SCCH makes every effort to keep any personal information up to date and accurate. Individuals may access their personal information and notify us of any change, modification or correction by contacting senior Management.
Smoke Free Workplace Policy
Southern Cross Crane Hire (SCCH) is committed to protecting the health and wellness of all people who work at or visit our work sites. Smoking of tobacco has been found to be detrimental to a smoker’s health and to the health of others exposed to tobacco smoke (passive smoking). SCCH will try where possible to limit this health impact to all staff and visitors.
To implement this policy SCCH will where practical:
- Ensure smoking is not permitted within the confines of all confined workspaces, offices, vehicles/equipment or near flammable or dangerous goods.
- Ensure smoking is not permitted within 5 metre radius of doorways, windows or air-conditioner intakes.
- Install appropriate signage to signify areas where smoking is prohibited.
- Create designated smoking areas where ash trays and refuse disposal and fire extinguishers are provided.
- Ensure the disposal of cigarette butts does not adversely affect the environment.
- Educate staff and visitors on this Smoke Free Workplace Policy and its requirements.
- Ensure those who breach the policy are subject to disciplinary action.
- From time to time provide information and instruction regarding the health effects of smoking to encourage all staff who wish to quit the habit.
- Provide instruction on this policy as and when required.